YOU WILL LEARN TO:
• Read and understand bus schedules
• Plan your trip
• Get to and from your bus stop
• Signal a bus
• Ride a specific route
• Pay fares and purchase tickets and
• Board and de-board
• Prepare for the unexpected
• Ride safely and confidently
• Use mobile apps to locate your bus
“I was terrified of traveling on the buses but the trainer helped me step by step, now I feel liberated and travel to meet with friends, go to doctor appointments, I no longer need to depend on friends and family to get me where I need to go.” - mountainliner
WHAT IS TRAVEL TRAINING?
Travel Training is an instructional process where seniors, persons with disabilities and individuals learn how to navigate and ride public transit safely and independently. It can be offered through one-on-one training or group training.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any person 18 years and older is eligible. Individuals under 18 would require consent of a parent or guardian.
IS THERE A FEE?
Travel training is free-of-charge except for your bus fare while training is taking place.
The Mobility Coordinator will work with you to design a training program catering to your specific needs. Training can range from:
• Route Training
• Trip Planning
• Safety Skills
• Fare Media
• Schedule Familiarity
Training can be conducted in a series of steps from the initial consultation to the gradual reduction of trainer assistance.
The Mobility Coordinator can also develop an Individualized Transportation Plan that will prepare you for your upcoming trip.
WHAT’S THE BENEFIT?
• Customized Instruction
• Enhances independence, mobility and opportunities
• More flexibility in travel
• Increases access to employment, medical and recreational activities
• Provides access to safe and low cost transportation
• Promotes healthy living by helping you stay active in your community.
ONE ON ONE OR GROUP TRAINING FOR:
• Seniors or Senior Housing Facilities
• Individuals with disabilities
• High School Students
• Residents of Monongalia County
• WVU Students
• Job placement agencies
• Community based organizations serving transportation disadvantaged
Travel Training Application Form
RIDE LIKE A PRO
MAKE AN APPOINTMENT: Monday - Friday 8 AM - 4:30 PM